Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thai Punna

The second Thai restaurant so far and we ordered the set menu, now experience should have taught us moderation, instead we ordered the generous three course meal for two at £19 a head. The starter platter was of a great standard, a varied selection of spring rolls, prawn toast, chicken skewers, along with plenty of dipping sauces, one to note was the sweet and sour plum. Next was my favourite Dtom Kaa Gai, the spicy chicken soup. This was okayand I’ve had better, but it’s not an easy dish to get wrong, even I’ve been known to be able to throw this satisfactorily together, with the necessary tantrums that occur when I enter the kitchen. To me this soup typifies and embodies Thai cuisine, an exciting and soothing broth infused with heat and zest which tantalises every part of the tongue, the Thai Punna soup was enjoyable but slightly too vapid to inspire more effusions of pleasure than that. The three main courses, were greeted with fewer still, both of us now looking upon the meal as a challenge to conquer rather than enjoy. My favourite was a very sweet red curry with duck, I’ve decided Thai curries need no meat they are so full of flavour and the meat absorbs the flavour so little it is not required. The other two dishes were rather disappointing, to me they were too greasy and lacked the usual Thai flair. I’m starting to believe that no restaurant will come close to the first in the clock, Baan Thai, I’ll always be disappointed when comparing the following meals to the first, Thai Punna has double the impediment in this regards as it is another Thai restaurant falling significantly shorter than it’s predecessor.

No comments:

Post a Comment