Friday, October 30, 2009

Aroma

Further up the road we entered the gilded Indian restaurant Aroma, safe to say this is by far the largest restaurant we’ve dined in. Within there is not a trace of traditional curry house décor, it’s mien instead modern brothel. Glossy red, white and black, sleek and masculine.
The stand out moment was when they brought the pickle tray with its six different choices, all of which are great and better than any I’ve had before, even the weird chunky orange one that no one ever likes was edible.
The starters were pleasant but the main course was practically toxic, the flavour itself was fine and the meal would surely have been bearable were it not for the gristle and toughness of the meat. I chose the lamb Karahi and it left me feeling vaguely ill, the hideous crunch as you bite into a hunk of meat signals the start of a terrible meal. Only in one other restaurant have I experienced the same thing the atrocious and egregious India: The Restaurant (now closed down) on Kirkstall Road in Leeds. It too was also style rather than substance, serving such dreadful meat is unforgivable in a restaurant so obviously decked to impress. Perhaps if there were fewer puma statues littering the place they might be able to purchase decent meat. It was just terrible and cheap, full of cartilage, tough and unappealing, so after I’d pulled the third bit of knuckle out of my mouth I decided to stop eating it and move onto the plate opposite, King Prawn Karahi. Here again I was woefully disappointed the king prawn seriously overdone and suffering from it, flavourless and dense, practically a crime.
After leaving half the meal I wanted to make a quick exit lest we have to eat another course even more crude than the last. Had we left after the starters the meal would have been amazing but crap produce mixed with lazy chefs left an unsatisfied and slightly nauseated Jane, ug.

2 comments:

  1. "After leaving half the meal I wanted to make a quick exit"
    NOT because of bad food which i for one thought was really nice but because Jane decided to set herself on fire before running out and leaving me to pay. and no, i am not exaggerating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think maybe the spontaneous combustion epidose tainted Jane's memory about this restaurant as we've eaten there before and she liked it.

    ReplyDelete