Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Romantic Meal

Feeling full of remorse for our previous and repeated rule breaking this week we headed back to La Romantica for an Italian meal for two. On this excursion they able to accommodate us and only another two diners littered the room. We ordered a carafe of wine to sup while we studied the brief menu, I was allowed a few brief sips of the former and fewer glimpses of the latter before the contents of my glass were tipped dramatically onto my lap. After a quick mop up and descreet bawl in the loos I returned my damp posterior to my seat and ordered pate and steak Diane to accompany whatever was left of my red wine. The wait for food was excruciating as I will ill disposed to accept the apologies of my companion and instead sulked and stared at the hideous wallpaper. Luckily the stale atmosphere was broken with the arrival of the starter, which was satisfactory, when it comes to pate I can only compare it to my mothers Christmas efforts which will never be improved upon. If I’d have eaten the main with my eyes I would have derived much more pleasure from it, the creamy sauce covering a plump and sizeable steak alongside fat chips all looked great, it tasted fine but fell slightly short of expectations. It was Italian food by numbers, all the right ingredients without any of the art, the portion, again was too large and I found myself feeling ill after I'd admitted defeat. This has been a recurring feature of the clock, it can be denoted to my substantial gluttony, or as I would like to believe, down to the inability of restaurants to measure a correct portion size. I think we are unprepared to leave any food that has been bought and paid for and as a result we gorge ourselves and ruin an otherwise satisfactory meal. We as diners cannot be expected to portion out our own food, the chefs have more experience and should therefore know what is acceptable. You'll be glad to know that the temperature of the establishment was fine. The waiting staff was excellent and I left an appropriately British tip as we hastily departed the restaurant so I could rinse off my crotch.

No comments:

Post a Comment