Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Saim Inter Thai Restuarant

The clock is winding slowly down, not stopping, we’re just taking our time as it’s coming to an end. There are fewer and fewer places left and we’re still putting off Yama Sushi, maybe next time. Instead we went to Sian Inter, a Thai restaurant, the few times I’ve walked past it I’ve noticed that the dishes are embellished with peculiar carved vegetable flora and I was eager to investigate. We entered into the empty restaurant, it smelled fishy, I wondered whether it was the food or the fish tank with huge goldfish. We quickly ordered our bottle of wine and began looking at the large menu. As usual we feared our task, choosing food, was too great. The mammoth menu got the better of us and we fell back onto our tried and tested method, the set menu, menu B. Kicking it off with our old friend the mixed starter. The delicious platter arrived consisting of, Gai Satay, Po Pia Tord, Gung Hom Pla, Tord Man Pla and Kha Nom Pang Na Gai. All were great, the fish cakes were fresh and zingy, prawn toast is becoming a new favourite, accompanied with some of the gluiest looking sweet chilli dipping sauce I’ve ever encountered, it was slightly of-putting though not enough to deter. I was so eager to consume the delivered goods I think I may have burnt some of the skin off the roof of my mouth. Still good though. The second course was delivered by the lovely waitress, Gaeng Kiew Warn Gai (Chicken and Aubergine Green curry), Ped Sam Rod (Duck in Tamarind Sauce) and Guay Tiew Pud Thai (Stir fried noodles with prawns) served with fragrant rice. All three of these dishes were great. The curry was nice and hot and sour, if not slightly too sweet. Not too sure about the soggy aubergine though. The duck was a little too fatty for me and the tamarind sauce, which I don't think I've had before was nice, if not slightly too sweet. The noodles were great, they’d absorbed that familiar slightly scorched flavour/smell combo you get with stir-fried food cooked in a much used wok. Was loving the different combination of textures as you bit through the soft noodles, the crunchy bean sprouts, and succulent prawns, this was also slightly too sweet. This meal was one of those occasions where you think that the dish you’re eating is your favourite, until you try the next one in line and then that one is your favourite. All were very enjoyable, I was hoping there’d be some left to box up and take home but alas all was devoured. Next we were given the dessert of the day, the waitress introduced it as tarot custard pudding and explained tarot was like a sweet potato. Honestly it was scrumptious, since eating it I’ve looked up the recipe and am planning a visit to the local Chinese supermarket to purchase me some taro, a great way to end the meal, as it wasn’t too sickly or even slightly too sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment