Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Rossi’s Italian Restaurant

We were out celebrating again, I’d overcome all odds and conquered hazards, Steve was gleeful his horrid module was over as he had handed in his final assignment, so London Road was our oyster. We could choose tonight’s eatery out of the few restaurants left. To be honest, we’ve defied the predetermined order of the clock so many times at this point it seems rather futile to even comment upon this. Anyway, ended up in Rossi’s, not officially on London Road but we’d always intended to dine there as we’d heard nothing but encouraging comments about it. It was a week night so no doorman greeted us, we had to let ourselves in! We left the icy, grey of Sheffield and entered into the temperate and dazzling room, which was more Grecian than Italian. The room had the appearance of a tasteful 1950s, continental brasserie which was unfortunately concealed underneath the ostentatious embellishments, had the room been stripped back the intended Italian homage would have been successful. We ordered our wine, house White, I’ve learnt my lesson, and perused the menu. I couldn’t decide upon a starter, nothing seemed appetising, so Steve chose for me, mountain and sea prawns, with mushrooms cooked in tomato with mozzarella cheese and garlic, in addition Steve chose for himself, ricotta cheese with fresh basil wrapped in parma ham. My starter was nicer, a little like a prawn and mushroom pizza without the base, the parma ham was good also. Our plates were cleared by the Frankenstein waiter, who grunted at us in heavily accented English, I found it impossible to understand any of his questions and looked to my companion to translate and answer. The mains course of Napolitana and Calzone were brought but I’d forgotten the cardinal rule of fish/pizza combo – ie. don’t frigging do it! As much as I love anchovies having them all dry and crusty on top of my pizza did them a disservice I will not be repeating, the calzone seemed to have every possible ingredient stuffed inside, slightly too many flavours and textures going on for my humble palate, though the doughy base was great to munch on. Too much wine had been drunk and I could not tell you how much the meal cost or whether it was good value. We began the necessary layering of outerwear to depart our cheeks already ruddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment